Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 2- No More Identity Crisis

Psalm 139:23-24- "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

We all have moments where we look in the mirror and don't like what we see- our weight, our complexion, our hair, our teeth, our clothes. Mirrors don't lie. They tell the truth. They show what's there even if we want to sweep it under the rug.

With God, there are no rugs under which our words, actions, thoughts or sin can be swept. Before he prayed for God to search him and try him in verse 23 David had already made this statement in verse 1- "O LORD, thou hast searched me and known me." He sees it all. He knows when we sit down and when we rise up (Ps. 139:2). He knows our deepest thoughts (Ps. 139:2). He knows our ways and the words of our mouths (Ps. 139:3-4). If you go to heaven, He's there. If you make your bed in hell, hide in the darkness, live in the sea or live in your mother's womb, He's there (PS. 139:7-13).

We can't hide. But like Adam in the garden, because we know God sees everything, we hide behind fig leaves of shame, regret and forgetfulness. That's right- we forget. For those who have placed faith in Jesus Christ, you're His child. He loves you with the love of a caring Father. Loving, caring Fathers don't sweep destructive behavior under the rug. It has to be corrected. But in the midst of that correction and painful searching of our hearts we can say, "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made...Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect...How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them" (Ps. 139:14-17).

Many Christians suffer from an identity crisis. Yes, God searches our hearts. He knows us in the deepest places. He knows our sin. He knows our failures. He knows what path we're taking. It's painful when we look into the mirror of God's word and the light of God exposes us for who we really are. Yet we are fearfully and wonderfully made. His precious thoughts toward us are too many to count. Remember that today.

Day two prayer emphasis: Pray through Psalm 139. Read each verse, meditate upon it and take it to God in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment