Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 5- Love God in Front of Your Children

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 6And these words...shall be in thine heart: 7And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up."
Deut. 6:4-7

I've had lots of people who have influenced my life- teachers, pastors, friends, my wife, my kids and others. However, before I ever met my first teacher, heard from my first pastor, chose my friends, met my wife or had kids of my own, I had mom and dad. They're the single greatest influences in my life.

That seems weird to say, doesn't it? They (plural) were the single (singular) greatest influences in my life. It's because they were one- and I'm not just talking about their union in marriage. They were one in influencing me for Christ. I don't separate the things my mom taught me from the things my dad taught me. My mom didn't teach me one way to live while my dad taught me another way. They were one. Their life was one shining example of what it means to love God and follow him at all costs. I am thankful for them.

I want my kids to learn to love God from me. I know the value of praying for them, but I need to pray with them. I know the importance of teaching them what it means to love God, but I need to model what loving God looks like in front of them. I want my boys to grow up and love their wives, but I know they'll learn that from me.

Being a parent is a tremendous responsibility. However, by God's grace we can mentor our children to love God with heart, soul and might- and we should. Even if we don't have children we should love God in front of our friends, neighbors, co-workers and family. Be a shining light of God's love today. Love God out loud.

Day 5 prayer emphasis- Love God through prayer. Thank Him for who He is and all that He has given you in Christ. If you have children, love God in front of them by spending some time in prayer with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment